Explore the Snowies…Playing Disc Golf
According to the the Australian Disc Golf Association, Disc Golf (also known as Frisbee Golf) is one of the fastest growing sports in Australia and around the world.
There are over 100 permanent courses around Australia, with six of those courses right here in the Snowy Mountains, between Thredbo and Jindabyne. This is arguably the highest concentration of disc golf courses in Australia! On this basis, it’s worth a visit to Thredbo if you’re a disc golf enthusiast. Or if you haven’t yet played disc golf, it’s worth taking the time to give it a try on your visit to Thredbo.
Why Disc Golf?
Disc Golf is a really accessible game to play. Special discs cost around $15-$30 to buy and are available for hire at certain places. Many disc golf courses are located in public parks and are free to play.
It’s a great way to get outdoors and enjoy physical activity with a group of friends. Especially when those outdoors are here in the Snowy Mountains with the breathtaking scenery such as Lake Jindabyne in the background, surrounded by native wildlife such kangaroos, wombats & echidnas.
Where to Play Disc Golf Around Thredbo?
View the list below and click the Learn more links on each point to see detailed info
- Thredbo Disc Golf Park Friday Flat (summer only) | Friday Flat, Thredbo Village | Free to play | Learn more
- Thredbo Disc Golf Park Golf Course (winter only) | Thredbo Golf Course, Crackenback Drive, Thredbo Village | Free to play | Learn more
- Lake Crackenback Resort | Alpine Way, Lake Crackenback | $15 for an activity day pass (as at January 2023), which includes golf, disc golf, archery, tennis, trampolines & watersports equipment | Learn more
- Jindabyne Disc Golf Course | Claypits, corner Kosciuszko Road & Barry Way | Free to play | Learn more
- Adventist Alpine Village Disc Golf Park | Adventist Alpine village, 122 Tinworth Drive, Jindabyne | Free to play | Learn more
- Jindabyne Sport and Recreation Centre | Barry Way, Jindabyne | Limited access | Learn more
How to Play Disc Golf
Similar to traditional golf, disc golf is played over a course of often 9 or 18 holes. The objective is to complete each hole in the fewest number of strokes, or in this case, throws. Rather than clubs and balls, you simply use a flying disc. And instead of putting greens and flags, you have a special elevated metal basket that has a series of chains to ‘catch’ the flying disc when it lands in the basket.
So on each hole you start by throwing from the tee area, then taking each consecutive throw from the spot where the previous throw landed, until you “putt” it into the basket.
You can use special discs for different types of shots if you wish, or can play every shot with just the one disc if that’s all you have access to.
Want to know more about disc golf? Here are some useful resources:
- Australian Disc Golf Association – What is Disc Golf?
- Fly Spot – Database of disc golf courses around Australia
- NSW Disc Golf – clubs, events & relevant Facebook groups
- ACT Disc Golf Club
Where to Get Disc Golf Discs
There are plenty of places to buy or hire discs around Thredbo & Jindabyne, including:
- Thredbo Retail & Rental, Valley Terminal
- Rip Curl Thredbo, Shop 5, Thredbo Shopping Village, Thredbo
- Rip Curl Jindabyne, Nuggets Crossing
- Jindy Disc Golf Shop, online and at 6 Nettin Circuit, Jindabyne
Get a group together, Stay at Boali Lodge
Boali Lodge is right in the heart of Thredbo Village, making is super easy to access the Thredbo disc golf courses, and a short drive to Lake Crackenback and Jindabyne. Group packages at Boali Lodge start at $160* per person per night for a minimum of 12 guests and include:
- All meals – cooked breakfast, buffet lunch or picnic pack, 2-course dinner.
- Use of the spacious lounge for celebrations and relaxation
- Ensuite accommodation in twin/king rooms or loft rooms with linen included
If you require exclusive use of the lodge this can be arranged for large groups of over 28 people. Let Boali’s staff take care of the everyday chores, including all meal preparation, so your group can get down to the serious business having fun.
For group booking enquiries, contact our Bookings Officer on 0474 240 447 to discuss your dates and requirements. Or for smaller groups, you can check availability and book online here.
*Pricing correct as at January 2023. Visit our Groups page for latest pricing & inclusions.